1 sleep; "roused him from his kip"
2 the basic unit of money in Laos
3 a gymnastic exercise performed starting from a position with the legs over the upper body and moving to an errect position by arching the back and swinging the legs out and down while forcing the chest upright [syn: upstart] v : be asleep [syn: sleep, slumber, log Z's, catch some Z's] [ant: wake] [also: kipping, kipped]
- , /kɪp/, /kIp/
- Rhymes with: -ɪp
- In the context of "colloquial|informal": Sleep, snooze, nap, forty winks,
- I’m just going for my afternoon kip.
- Piece of flat wood used to throw the coins in a game of two-up.
- Very untidy house or room.
- A unit of force equal to 1000 pounds-force (lbf) (4.44822 kilonewtons or 4448.22 newtons) or sometimes equal to 1000 avoirdupois pounds.
- In the context of "gymnastics": A move or maneuver from below the equipment to above it.
obsolete: piece of flat wood in a game of two-up.
very untidy house or room
- Dutch: keet, hol
unit of force
gymnastics: move or maneuver from below the equipment to above it
- Finnish: kippi
- To sleep.
- Don’t worry, I’ll kip on the sofabed.
- Dutch: dutten, een uiltje knappen, maffen
- Finnish: nukkua, koisata
Etymology 2From ກີບ.
unit of currency in Laos
- Dutch: kip
- Kip, currency in Laos.
- You may also be looking for Kipp.
Kip may refer to any of the following:
- Lao kip, the currency of Laos
- Kip (unit), a unit of force or mass
- Kip, Inverclyde, a village in Scotland
- Kip-up, an acrobatic maneuver used in martial arts and gymnastics
- In trampolining, when an instructor adds height to a performers bounce by pushing on the bed with their foot
- A first aid dressing for burns, no longer manufactured
- A type of cat
- Sleeping or taking a nap in British and Australian slang
- Dump in Irish slang
- "From the top of a hill" in Old English
- Chicken in Dutch
- Kip (dance move), a move in Swing Dance
People with the name Kip:
- Kipling "Kip" Ronald Dynamite, a character in the 2004 movie Napoleon Dynamite
- Kipchoge "Kip" Keino, a Kenyan athlete.
- Kip Kinkel, an American school shooter.
- Austin H. "Kip" Kiplinger, American publisher
- Kipp Lennon, American rock musician, Venice
- Kip Miller, an American ice hockey player
- Kip Thorne, an American theoretical physicist
- Kip K.I. parashivamurthy, an Indian Engineering Professor[Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur, Karnataka, India]
- Kip Wells, an American baseball player
- Kip Winger, an American rock musician, Winger
KIP may be an acronym for
kip in Italian: KIP
kip in Dutch: Kip